> ...with 6 or 8 agile 200 pounders up there...

Calypso displaces +-24,000lbs with almost 10,000 of that in the keel.

Back in 2008 on the up wind leg of a particularly windy (25 to 35 TWS)
Foulweather Bluff race we had Calypso set up with 1 reef in the main and a #3
headsail.  We passed most of the lighter boats that were relying on crew weight
ballast.  I told the older less agile crew that they could sit wherever they
wanted, even below if they got cold.

In the higher end of the wind range we would pop in the 2nd reef but the sea
state made it attractive to keep the power up, heel over a bit and bash some
waves.  We would  smile and wave to the overpowered boats sliding off to
leeward eventually having to tack to avoid being embayed in Useless Bay.
Calypso finally got her conditions, big wind, big waves, adverse current.  We
finished 3rd in class.

Shortly after crossing the finish line off Edmonds WA we headed back south (up
wind) to our home port, Shilshole Bay Marina.  Before we made more than a mile
of progress we got hit with a 48 knot gust (had 2 reefs in the main, #3
headsail).  The gust knocked us down deep enough to have green water over the
cockpit winches.  I heard some nasty cracking sounds which turned out to be an
early indicator of the balsa rot issues in Calypso's deck.  We also broke part
of the roller furler torque tube.

>From that high wind race I got a great T-shirt, sea story, and confirmation of
>the 43's heavy weather performance.  I also dug the #4 headsail out of storage
>to have on board for the next race/delivery with a high wind forecast.

Martin

Calypso

1971 C&C 43

Seattle