Hi Rick,

Thanks for backing me up on this.

It's a good thread and we got enough information to conclude there is no simple "time to reef" and there is a pile of good tricks to forestall tucking in a reef.

Sometimes, the best time to reef is as you express with using angle of heel as the indicator to gain the best speed and comfort. However, there are times on the race course, with the 45', where I will not call for a reef if the windward mark can be seen. It is often quicker to carry on, with a crew of 6 - 9 and recalling the statement, "The chance for mistakes is about equal to the number of crew squared." - Ted Turner

And I hope my point was not interpreted by anyone as: "reef when the toe-rail in in the water". That is not the same as: "if your toe-rail is in then water, it's time to reef."

"Any fool can carry on, but a wise man knows how to shorten sail in time." - Joseph Conrad

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1
        Vancouver Island