I have wondered what the limiting factor would be when carrying too much sail
area,
and had a chance to test it out over a 5 hour sail. Part of the reason is I do
sail and
race solo so knowing what to expect is an advantage, and also Lake Ontario does
get
variable weather and sometimes poor forecasting.

The day in question started in the high teens and ended in 30+ kts. I flew a
full main
and North 3Di 155% double handed.

As expected simple trim worked well to where we normally fly this combination,
the
17 - 18 kt true range. With more twist and halyard tension things stayed OK up
22 kts true and in combination with pointing up ( feathering ) we could go well
wind and stay upright to about 24 kts. Surprisingly the VMG was good ( about
28 degrees AWA ) and leeway was minimal.

I could sense the limit arriving at 27 kts true. Windburn was feathered pretty
tight
and sail area was depowered so the equilibrium between over the bow wind drag
and force generated in the sails was getting close.

The limiting effect was wave height though. When we got hit by the random
"significant" swell it depowered us too much going up into it and then falling
off
the back side forced a tack. We were ready for the tack so that was fine but
recovering from full canvas sideways in 27+ knots doesn't work well. My take is
that there is no way to power up into the wind so falling way off and building
hull speed downwind is required first. I could not tack normally so had to
time rounding up with a wave to get over, and then head down wind again
before trimming back up into the wind.

Hopefully a skill set never required.

Michael Brown
Windburn