Peter — please remember that six-volt and twelve-volt batteries are made from
1.5-volt cells; the only difference is the number of cells wired in series to
make up the battery.  Two six-volt batteries wired in series are functionally
equivalent to a twelve-volt battery.

I can understand if that particular ProMariner charger doesn’t have enough
current to charge a large battery; but "each leg of the charger attached to a
single battery” would apply to two six-volt batteries wired in series.  There’s
no way for the charger to know the difference, and electrically there IS no
difference.

Fred Street -- Minneapolis