Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 14:51:33 -0700
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com; f...@postaudio.net
Subject: Re: Stus-List little A&H hatches on a LF38
From: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
CC: jda...@gmail.com

I finished installing the new hatch lenses this weekend. Thanks again Fred for
the effort you went to getting these made and shipped!  Here are some before +
after photos showing how great they look:
https://goo.gl/photos/JZBXFFRNyUYRhWAD9

It took me 8 hours, about 4 for each window. But if you're not an OCD
perfectionist it might take you half that time.
And a few tips for those who haven't installed yet (sorry this turned out very
long): - Surprisingly, dis-assembly went quite quick - I expected some
seriously corroded / stuck fasteners, but brute force (no breaker bar needed)
got them all apart without breaking. Used PB Blaster on one, not sure if it
made a difference. - The lenses were about 1/8" longer than my current ones,
and didn't quite fit - so I had to sand down a few corners with a Dremel
sanding drum. I'm not sure if there were slight variations in the frame size
from year to year, or if it's just a cutting inaccuracy (it's hard cutting to
within millimeter precision, so I don't blame the fabricator!). I used a coarse
sanding drum, then medium, and finished hand sanding with 180 or 320 grit. -
The biggest time sink comes down to how your hinges are done. The original
hinges have a cast aluminum tapped (threaded) cylinder attached to the hinge,
which an SS bolt was screwed into. It's a neat design (no penetrations above
the hinge means fewer things to seal) but obviously dissimilar metals corrode.
There are basically two options:    - My head hatch already had the hinges
thru-bolted (drill 1/4" and mount a hex bolt through it from the top). One
hinge I had done myself when the aluminum disintegrated last year, and the
other had already been done. However I still had to dremel down the remaining
cast aluminum cylinder - in order to get the hinges to seat flush with the new
acrylic, because I don't want to drill a 5/8" clearance hole like the lenses
originally had. A 1/4" hole is much easier to drill (but then the cylinder
can't seat in that).    - Reuse the existing tapped aluminum. My galley hatch
ones were in surprisingly good shape. After some cleanup with mineral spirits,
the original bolts threaded into the aluminum just fine. So I decided to save
the trouble of cutting them of, and reuse them (with lots of Lanocote or
TefGel). However drilling 5/8" holes in acrylic is hard, so that created some
trouble. The fitting is 1/2" but the original holes were 5/8" - you need some
clearance for expansion. Plas Drill bits max out at 1/2", and I didn't have one
that size on hand anyway. I did a test drill on the old hatch acrylic with a
1/2" standard bit, and it took a big chip out of the surface when it exited the
other side. 1/2" drill bits are hard to use even on wood without chipping. I
bought a 5/8" Forstner bit and a 5/8" cheap hole saw and went to the shop to
use the drill press. This page has advice, including on forstner bits for
acrylic: http://www.bcae1.com/plexi.htmThe Forstner was very slow and required
a lot of pressure on the drill press. It didn't melt, but I wouldn't use it
again for acrylic this thick. The Forstner chipped the edge on the exit. And
broke the drill stop collar on the drill press. But I didn't have a plywood
backer, I was using a doubled-over cardboard Amazon box (because I couldn't
find my drilling backer at the time) - so this was my fault for a dumb idea. On
the next hole, the hole saw with the aggressive teeth did melt the acrylic, but
went much faster. Water didn't really seem to slow the melting, but the melted
bits were not really a problem. The acrylic is so thick and the 5/8" hole quite
large, that a little melting on the perimeter caused no noticeable damage.
- 1/4" Plas Drill bit worked great. I used that for the knob latch screws and
for the two thru-bolts on the head hatch. The thru-bolts I used were 1/4" I
think, so I jangled the bit around to enlarge the hole so I'd have a bit more
clearance for heat expansion. If I were to redo the 5/8" holes I think I'd get
a 1/2" Plas Drill and then enlarge the hole with a Dremel.
I did all this while we had two gales blow through Seattle this weekend. The
one on Sunday winds peaked at 57 knots. Finishing the install with a 5 to 8
degree heel to the boat was fun. :)
-Patrick1984 C&C Landfall 38Seattle, WA