> … when a key broke off inside on the previous Enterprise.

>The need for a key outdoors amuses me. If they can break into your boat to get
>the power on, they certainly can get to the back of the panel and connect the
>two wires.

Back in the early 80’s I was asked by the local North Sails loft manager to
help train a new customer’s foredeck crew.  The local low key race started from
Port Madison, Bainbridge Island and ran south towards Blakely Rocks.  The
boat’s new owner seemed very sure of his navigation when I asked if his upwind,
out of the current course towards the Bainbridge Island shore included enough
depth for his draft.  Shortly after this conversation I mentioned to the
foredeck trainee “I’d sit down if I were you” as a subtle warning that an
abrupt stop was imminent.  In the process of that particular and sudden
grounding, the owner’s leg slide forward and broke the ignition key off in his
brand new engine panel.

Being that: I was a volunteer advisor, not part of the regular crew; the boat
was firmly aground in soft mud; the tide was falling and 6 hours from rising;
and a local home owner rowed out and asked if he could assist, I quickly said
“I would love a ride to shore”.

I quickly demonstrated how easy it was to hot wire his brand new boat with a
key broken off in the ignition switch, grabbed my duffel bag and, with the
owner’s reluctant permission abandoned ship. The row ashore was quite short but
I was a long way from the town of Winslow where the WA State ferry system’s
best would transport me back to Seattle where my car was parked.  Fortunately
back in the 80’s, on Bainbridge Island seeing a hitchhiking sailor was not
uncommon.  I got a quick lift easily making the next ferry sailing and was
sitting at the Seattle Yacht Club bar with a fresh sea story in hand for my
day’s work.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle

I also did what Gary did, especially after doing surgery on the Yanmar panel
when a key broke off inside on the previous Enterprise. It’s an easy install.

The need for a key outdoors amuses me. If they can break into your boat to get
the power on, they certainly can get to the back of the panel and connect the
two wires.

All the best,

Edd

Edd M. Schillay