I had a gate valve failure on my previous boat.  The shaft corroded in the
gate.  The handle and shaft spun freely but the gate did not move.  I had
no way to know if the gate was open or closed.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Randy Stafford via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Listers-
>
> My 30-1 has gate valves at the cockpit drain through-hulls.  Don Casey
> writes that gate valves are inherently unsafe and must not be substituted
> for seacocks.  Any opinions on this issue?
>
> While I'm at it, Casey also writes that plastic (Marelon) through-hulls
> should not be mixed with bronze nuts and seacocks, which my boat does.  He
> writes only plastic nuts and seacocks should be used with plastic
> through-hulls.  Thoughts on that one?
>
> Thanks,
> Randy Stafford
> S/V Grenadine
> C&C 30-1 #7
> Ken Caryl, CO

> like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
> Contributions are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!