Gate Valves are no longer approved by ABYC.

<http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/magazine/2014/april/whats-below-your-waterline.asp>

Bill Bina

On 4/11/2016 12:51 PM, Randy Stafford via CnC-List wrote:
Listers-

My 30-1 has gate valves at the cockpit drain through-hulls. Don Casey writes that gate valves are inherently unsafe and must not be substituted for seacocks. Any opinions on this issue?

While I'm at it, Casey also writes that plastic (Marelon) through-hulls should not be mixed with bronze nuts and seacocks, which my boat does. He writes only plastic nuts and seacocks should be used with plastic through-hulls. Thoughts on that one?

Thanks,
Randy Stafford

greatly appreciated!