From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Edward
Levert via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2016 8:29 PM
To: randy.staff...@comcast.net
Cc: Edward Levert <weeselev...@gmail.com>; cnc-list <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Timbers Beneath Mast Step

Randy:

We were delivering the boat back to New Orleans after purchase. I knew of the
potential flaw but the surveyor was not able to see the support structure. Had
boat itch to replace my C&C 27 lost in Katrina. I took a chance.

Close hauled with main and a 110 in 15 kts wind, 30 minutes into the sail I
sensed something slipped. Under sail, the pressure on the windward shrouds
seemed normal. Sent my son below to check and the report was not good. The mast
step collapsed. We killed the sails and headed up Mobile Bay under power. The
rig was now loosely goosey as we rolled in the following sea. We tried to
stabilize it by squeezing the shrouds together with line. A worrisome 4 hr
motor up the bay to the marina complex at Dog River not knowing how or if the
butt of the mast was working against the hull. The wood plate under the step
fractured as  well as some of the transverse members.

If you do the repairs yourself, be sure to use pvc pipe to leave access to the
forward keel bolt if you fill in the gaps between the stringers.

Ed

Briar Patch, C&C 34

New Orleans, La

On Monday, April 11, 2016, <randy.staff...@comcast.net