Count me in the camp that closes all the through hulls.  A discussion
recently about disintegrating valve and hoses and the bilge pump keeping up
keeps me ever vigilant to the possibility of sinking.

It's usually just a sink drain and the engine cooling.  I keep the engine
key hanging on the engine through hull so I don't forget to open it.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD
On Apr 18, 2016 11:50 PM, "Rick Brass via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> Your head inlet teed to the sink drain is exactly the way my 38 is
> plumbed. I think that arrangement was pretty common in the 70s.
>

> My question is why you would close the sink drain seacock when under
> weigh.
>

> I have a shut off valve in the inlet line between the seacock and the head
> that is near the head, and the lever on the head that is marked “Flush” and
> “Dry” is always left on “Dry” – and either of these should prevent inlet
> water from siphoning into the head when the boat is heeled while sailing.
> Is your boat plumbed with a shutoff valve near the head?
>

> Personally, I close all my seacocks a couple of times a year to make sure
> they are moving freely and they remain open the rest of the time; though I
> know there are some on the list who close all the thru hulls when they
> leave the boat for a week or two as insurance against a hose leak.
>

> Rick Brass

greatly appreciated!