Patrick,

I don’t know if you were able to remove your donut yet.  If not, don’t ignore
heating the outer edge of the donut (use torch, a heat gun won’t do it).   A
good temperature difference from the donut to the stock can give greater
expansion to the donut relative to the stock (like how many folks removed old
rusted nuts from bolts).    Also, sometimes heating, using pb-blaster, and
cooling along a few times will break the corrosion lock.

With regards to the Edson radial, if the bolts were not treated with an
anti-lock such as tea-gel or even never-seize, then if may be near impossible
to unscrew the bolts.  I ran into this issue dropping my rudder. I had the
engine and fuel tank out and with good leverage and a breaker bar but I just
could not budge the bolts.   I thought that by cutting off the bolt heads, I
would be able to split the radial and take it off, but that did not work. I was
able to cut the bolts between the split of the radial to remove it.  While I
had plenty of space to use a Sawzall, I think one could use a Dremel and a good
cutting wheel if space is limited.  These bolts were badly galled to the point
that I had to drill them out.

Details are at:
http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/2015/07/rudder-and-steering.html
<http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/2015/07/rudder-and-steering.html>

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall
S/V Johanna Rose
Carrabelle, FL

http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/

> On Apr 20, 2016, at 10:15 AM, cnc-list-requ...@cnc-list.com wrote:
>
> Things I've tried:
>
> - PB Blaster, every day for 4-5 days, around the top, into the set screw
> holes, and around the bottom.
>
> - Loctite Freeze + Release
>
> - oil filter wrench with rubber pieces to grip
>
> - threading a bolt into the set screw holes and hammering on that - quickly
> abandoned this because it started to bend the screws and I realized it would
> strip the set screw holes.
>
> - C clamps
>
> - Heat gun (I don't have a torch - however I don't think heat will be very
> successful because the mated parts are both stainless steel)
>
> - Large hose clamp tightened around my rubber gripper ring and hammering on
> the hose clamp screw. I really thought this was the genius idea that would
> finally work. Nothing budged, even with heavy pounding. But the hose clamp
> does the best job of pressing my rubber gripper onto the donut and had no
> slippage.
>

> Is there anything I'm missing? Has anyone else had this hard a time getting
> the donut off, or found anything else that worked?
>

> The Edson radial drive bolts are also seized, but I have some more things to
> try there still, and as last resort it can be cut off and order a new one
> ($500).
>

> If I can get the rudder out I might also consider changing the stuffing box,
> because that is also seized (looks original and probably hasn't been adjusted
> in 5 years).
>

> -Patrick
>
> 1984 C&C Landfall 38
>
> Violet Hour, Seattle, WA