Hi Patrick,

Set screws are not evil or bad. Your installation was bad though, maybe even bordering on evil.

Set screws should not bite into the threads, as you have learned. The collar should be brought to position and then a dimple(s) drilled into the shaft where the set screws will land, using the set screw hole as the guide. Alternately the location can be marked, collar removed, dimple(s) drilled, thread cleaned and then everything assembled... this method being much more difficult for most people. Either way, you end up with the security of set screw(s) without gnarling the threads.

The split collar is also a fine option (it's what I have in a location that demands it.. i.e.: no threads there)

        Cheers, Russ
         Sweet 35 mk-1