I'm looking into this now, so I'll let you know what I find. Hope to figure
something out by end of week.

Your rudder probably won't fall out if the shaft collar breaks off (the
quadrant or radial drive will hold it) but that would still be a bad thing
- the radial drive would probably fall a few inches (however much distance
you have below it to the rudder tube) which would mess up your steering
wire tension and angles.

I found that the proper name for these is "threaded bore shaft collar."
Stafford (in MA) makes some:
http://shaft-collars-couplings.staffordmfg.com/category/unf-unc-threaded-bore-shaft-collars
It wouldn't be an exact match cosmetically, but the design is better
because it doesn't use evil set screws. Just one option I'm looking into
though.

-Patrick
1984 C&C Landfall 38

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:51 AM, <cnc-list-requ...@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> From: Eric Frank <efran...@mac.com>
> To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
> Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:31:05 -0400
> Subject: Re: Stus-List Rudder collar "donut" removal
> I’ve been watching this saga with some interest.  Last spring I noticed
> that the “donut” on my 35 MkII was cracked in several places, but was told
> on this list that the rudder would not fall off so it wasn’t critical to
> replace it right away.  The donut on Cat’s Paw will be easy to remove
> because it is broken in several places.  Can I get a replacement for it and
> then just screw it on?  How are others dealing with this?
>
> Eric Frank
> Cat's Paw
> C&C 35 Mk II
> Mattapoisett, MA