Ditto. That's what I did. Not only do you absorb a lot of sailing go fast
knowledge, you will also see what works best as far as running rigging
configurations, strategy, etc.  I worked every position on lots of boats. My
time spent racing on other boats was priceless.  I still do it.

As a skipper who has experience as main trimmer, genoa trimmer, grinder, put,
foredeck, mast, etc. I understand what each crew member is doing, needs to do.
Makes me a better skipper. BTW, I didn't usually drive the boat. One of my crew
was better at it. I usually did foredeck.

Guy in my marina races his boat. He only drives. He never races on other boats
nor does he do other positions on his boat.  His racing program never improves.

The other advantage to racing on other boats is you don't have to pay for
broken stuff.  :)

Dennis C.
Touché 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA