Main advantage IMHO is weight. I don't remember the difference between carbon
and aluminum for the same pole but it is substantial.
This makes it easier to use, extend, handle plus it probably will not kill you
if it falls on your head when the topping lift is mishandled by your crew.
Since it is so light, it is also easy to put below out of the sun and hang from
the overhead hand rails.

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
C&C 36 XL/kcb

Sent from my iPad

> On May 19, 2016, at 10:51 PM, Josh Muckley via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> The carbon is twice the price and would need protection from UV.  It better
> be one hell of an improvement.
>
> Josh
>
> On May 19, 2016 3:48 PM, "Edd Schillay via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
> Josh,
>
> I have an old line-control whisker pole on the Enterprise, which lives on the
> deck. When we’ve raced with it, it took a couple of guys on the foredeck to
> set up and some coordination with the jib trimmer to get the end close to the
> clew of the sail while extending. I suppose a mast-mount option would make it
> easier (having one end fixed) but it will still be a lot of weight to work
> with when setting. If you have the funds (and we all know you do), go with
> the carbon version, as someone suggested.
>
> I don’t think I’ve ever tried to use the pole when cruising (usually all my
> destinations are directly upwind when cruising - a Murphy’s Law thing).
>

> All the best,
>
> Edd
>

> Edd M. Schillay
> Starship Enterprise
> C&C 37+ | Sail No: NCC-1701-B
> City Island, NY
> Starship Enterprise's Captain's Log

> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!