My guess/assumption is that any battery cables on a boat that have the old style automotive lead clamps are old cables that may not even be proper marine tinned cables. Lots of wiring on old boats, including C&C, was not tinned wire and needs to be replaced, even if it hasn't failed... yet.

Bill Bina