Yes but if your LF38 has no fuel tank under the radial drive, as on mine,
then there is room for a tiller arm I believe. A prior owner removed the
original tank and installed a 16g one in the bottom of the stbd lazarette.
Eventually I may need more fuel capacity and might have to reconsider the
below steering spot, but given how many people complain about that fuel
tank I think it's a blessing to have it gone from there.

Next year I may consider a below decks autopilot, so it's nice to have more
options. Since I recently replaced the Edson radial drive while dropping
the rudder, I've been up close down there quite a bit (
https://svviolethour.com/2016/05/03/this-years-haul-out-dropping-the-rudder/
). There's about 3-4" of exposed rudder stock below the radial drive, with
a 1/4" keyway that entire length. However since the radial drive is concave
downwards, a tiller arm wouldn't be able to use all of that height-wise -
maybe only 1-2". I *think* it would be enough, but the angles would still
be tricky.

While researching the radial drive I came across this post where a Catalina
owner had his Edson radial drive shatter while sailing:
https://www.catalina36.org/forum/technical-discussion/radial-disk-shattered
He didn't have an autopilot on it, but was missing the two outer screws
which help align the circumference of the disk (maybe contributed, maybe
not).

Bob's tiller arm is mounted to the fwd rudder stop platform of the radial
drive (there's one on each end, the aft one has the rudder stop). That
seems like a better place than randomly drilling through the middle (disc
portion) of the drive - at least it's designed to take some shock loads.

Other threads on this:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/55443-autopilot-drive-mounting-question.html
http://themarineinstallersrant.blogspot.com/2010/06/you-cant-always-get-what-you-want-and.html

-Patrick
1984 C&C LF38
Seattle, WA

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 10:18 AM, <cnc-list-requ...@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> From: Frederick G Street <f...@postaudio.net>
> To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
> Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 12:18:07 -0500
> Subject: Re: Stus-List Installing linear autohelm on LF38
> Chuck and all — the steering configuration belowdecks on the Landfall 38s
> cannot support a tiller arm.  The quadrant is directly below the cockpit
> sole, and directly above the fuel tank.  There simply is no room for
> anything on the rudder post.  Wal Bryant got a good photo of this area when
> he redid his steering system; I’ve taken the liberty (thanks, Wal!) of
> reposting one of his photos on my web server at
> www.postaudio.net/webserver/LF38steering.jpg.  Looking past the smiley
> face that Wal spray-painted on his new fuel tank, you can see just how
> tight everything is back there.
>
> In virtually all of the autopilot installations I’ve seen where the drive
> is attached directly to the quadrant, the attachment has been strengthened
> with metal plates on one or both sides of the quadrant wheel; this includes
> Bob Boyer’s setup, which he emailed me photos of.  Bob, I hope it’s okay
> for me to take the liberty again of posting one of these photos at
> http://www.postaudio.net/webserver/LF38steering2.jpg.
>
> And Chuck, yes I have been involved in using Octopus hydraulic linear
> drives in autopilot installations; I like their tough dependability and
> strength, and the fact that they only have a few moving parts.  One of
> their downsides in limited spaces, though, is the fact that the actuator
> rod sticks out the back of the drive a fair amount when the drive is at the
> short limit of travel; this can cause issues with structure nearby,
> limiting where and how you can mount the drive.
>
> In any case, there simply isn’t a good spot (really, *ANY* spot) to mount
> a tiller arm on the LF38.
>
> — Fred
>
> Fred Street -- Minneapolis
> S/V Oceanis (1979 C&C Landfall 38) -- Bayfield, WI

greatly appreciated!