Hi Lorne,

You have a "mast head rig". Full rig is a term better suited for bigger ships. Be thankful for the adjustable backstay. It's nice to have.

Downwind work = tension off
Upwind work = tension on, more wind = more tension
It's that simple. The subtleties come with how much tension to apply. At this stage, apply more tension when sailing upwind to make the boat heel less (more comfortable).

The function of an applied adjustable backstay on a mast head rig boat is to reduce jibstay sag. This moves the jib draft forward and you get less heeling forces (comparatively more forward force). In light winds and reaches you need to reduce backstay tension to move the jib draft aft.

The function of a mainsail cunnigham and babystay is to move the mainsail draft forward. These controls are used in conjunction with the backstay adjustment.

Halyard loading is important too. Watch for creases or wrinkles in the luff.

Do not talk to fractional rig people, they are evil and not to be trusted. :) <VBG>

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1