The babystay doesn't go slack.  The whole mast moves back, but more at the
top than at the middle.  If you want to see the effect of tightening the
backstay, look at the forestay, and sight up the mast from the side while
the backstay is not tensioned too tight.  Then run a weighted line (or even
your main halyard if the main is down) from the top of the mast to the
boom.  When you tension the backstay, the top of the mast moves back; the
middle of the mast moves back (less than at the top); the weighted line
will move aft along the boom; the forestay will be straighter and you'll
see the bend of the mast when sighting from the side from the boom to the
top of the mast.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Ronald B. Frerker via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Sam, like you said, the mast is more or less fixed, but not completely.
> As you decrease backstay length the mast has two motions, bending and
> rotating from the deck pivot point.  As it rotates (pivots) backward it
> tightens the forestay.  That's about all I get with my tree trunk of a
> mast; no bending, but more than an inch back and down.  The thinner
> sections with multiple spreaders and/or babystays will get more bending.
> Both motions move the tip of the mast back and down since the forestay is
> mostly fixed (it does lengthen slightly since it's a bit of a catenary and
> more tension takes some droop out).  Since systems seek an equilibrium
> which reduces overall tension, the babystay will loosen slightly with the
> bending, but will assist the bending motion until equilibrium.
> Frac rigs get a lot more bending of course by geometry alone.  And tuning
> them starts with lighting a candle by the hollow stump at midnight!  Those
> with multiple spreaders are the devils own design.
> Ron
> Wild Cheri
> C&C 30-1
> STL