From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of ALAN
BERGEN via CnC-List
Sent: June-04-16 2:35 PM
To: cnc-list-requ...@cnc-list.com
Cc: ALAN BERGEN
Subject: Re: Stus-List Adjustable backstay?

The babystay doesn't go slack.  The whole mast moves back, but more at the
top than at the middle.  If you want to see the effect of tightening the
backstay, look at the forestay, and sight up the mast from the side while
the backstay is not tensioned too tight.  Then run a weighted line (or even
your main halyard if the main is down) from the top of the mast to the boom.
When you tension the backstay, the top of the mast moves back; the middle of
the mast moves back (less than at the top); the weighted line will move aft
along the boom; the forestay will be straighter and you'll see the bend of
the mast when sighting from the side from the boom to the top of the mast.

Alan Bergen

35 Mk III Thirsty

Rose City YC

Portland, OR

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Ronald B. Frerker via CnC-List