Shock it with bleach; empty; add baking soda and fill then pour in a half
bottle of lemon juice.  Shake well (go sailing).  Empty and fill a couple
times.  Refill and add a bit of bleach.

Make sure you flush the lines.  Quite often the smell is bacteria right at
the faucet (sulfur rotten egg smell).

Dennis C.

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Josh Muckley via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Every time I fill up I add a tbsp of regular unscented bleach to the
> tanks.  There is a proper ratio as recommended by the CDC but I can recall
> exactly.  I know that I could go as high as 2 tbsp in my tanks (~20 gal) to
> sanitize but the bleach smell is strong.  I also worry about ruining the
> rubber components in my water system so I typically stick to just 1 tbsp.
>
> Josh Muckley
> S/V Sea Hawk
> 1989 C&C 37+
> Solomons, MD
> On Jun 13, 2016 2:18 PM, "RANDY via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Listers-
>>
>> My 30-1 has developed a bad odor in the water tank under the starboard
>> settee (the tank that supplies the galley sink).
>>
>> Any tips on how to get rid of it?  I'm tempted to pour some bleach in the
>> tank but wanted to check with you all first to see if there is any risk of
>> damaging the material from which the tank is made (fiberglass, I think -
>> the tank seems to be a molded part of the settee).
>>
>> Note I don't drink that water or even use it for cooking.  I mainly use
>> it for cleaning.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Randy Stafford
>> S/V Grenadine
>> C&C 30-1 #7
>> Ken Caryl, CO

>> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you
>> like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
>> Contributions are greatly appreciated!

> like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
> Contributions are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!