Hi Randy,

I passed my ABYC Marine Systems exam this morning, so am fully up on the
prescribed procedures.  Essentially soak the entire system (all tanks, pumps,
outlets) with household bleach at 100 parts per million (which works out at 8oz
per 10 gallons of tank capacity.  Leave it for more than 8 hours, but less than
24, drain, flush with fresh water (maybe more than once) then fill.

I did this on our 380 gallon tanks a couple of weeks ago.  It got rid of the
bad odor, still has a very faint scent of bleach and took about an hour running
all outlets to empty out....

Regards,

Tim
Ex 35-3

> On Jun 13, 2016, at 2:17 PM, RANDY via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> Listers-
>
> My 30-1 has developed a bad odor in the water tank under the starboard settee
> (the tank that supplies the galley sink).
>
> Any tips on how to get rid of it?  I'm tempted to pour some bleach in the
> tank but wanted to check with you all first to see if there is any risk of
> damaging the material from which the tank is made (fiberglass, I think - the
> tank seems to be a molded part of the settee).
>
> Note I don't drink that water or even use it for cooking.  I mainly use it
> for cleaning.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,
> Randy Stafford
> S/V Grenadine
> C&C 30-1 #7
> Ken Caryl, CO
>
> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!