On our boat, after years of exposure to small amounts of oily water in the
bilge, the manual bilge pump hose became brittle for the first 8" or so of
it length and cracked across, just above the foot valve.  The internal
spiral wire held it together and hid the crack.  This was the white, spiral
type of hose.

I replaced the first two feet or so of hose with a better quality rubber
hose.  The rest of the hose, over its entire length was quite pliable so we
did not change that until last year when we were doing some other work
anyway.

Ken H.

On 13 July 2016 at 09:37, Marek Fluder via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> Recently I was able to troubleshoot inefficient manual bilge pump with
> blowing air from shop-vac into the bilge end of the hose.
> A small hole in the hose close to the pump became evident pretty quickly.
> I lucked out that it was in an accessible spot.
>
> Marek
> C320
> Hamilton, ON
>

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Jeremy Ralph via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
>> The manual bilge pump on my 1978 34-1 isn't working.  I believe it's
>> original.
>>
>> My thinking is there must be a leak somewhere and I need to find that to
>> get the suction working. I'm thinking of taking off the hose at the pump
>> and ensuring there is suction there.  Then replace the hose and ensure a
>> good seal.
>>
>> Any words of wisdom from the group on this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>   Jeremy

>> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you
>> like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
>> Contributions are greatly appreciated!

> like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
> Contributions are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!