Welcome kevin. I am running an Interstate 4d, a pair of Dyno golf carts for my
house bank and soon to upgrade my old starting batteries to a group 31. This is
also where my windlass gets its power. I have a 90 amp alterrnator, a 40 amp
smart charger and just installed a pair of 140 watt solar panels. My ultimate
goal is to spend very little tied to a dock.
    Doug MountjoysvPegasusLF38 #4just west of Ballard, WA.

------ Original message------From: Josh Muckley via CnC-ListDate: Mon, Sep 5,
2016 10:04To: C&C List;Cc: Josh Muckley;Subject:Re: Stus-List Marine Batteries
For our small diesels there is no reason to use anything other than deep cycle
batteries.  The required cranking amps is less than 200.  Trojan and Deka are
strong contenders though availability and cost my lead you simply use the
cheapest available at Walmart or Autozone.I am working through a failure of my
battery bank.  2 different batteries in my bank of 3 have a shorted cell.  They
are Autozone deep cycle that have lasted almost 4 years to the day.  I keep
them on a marine smart charger which performs equalizing charges every 60 days.
 Each battery only cost about $100.  I'm considering trojan wet cells.  Gell,
AGM and LiFePO all require more specialized charging profiles which requires a
special charger and alternator.  The batteries alone tend to be more expensive
but then the added cost of the chargers just doesn't make it worth it to me.
The wet cell technology also allows for user maintenance which should maximize
the life of the battery.Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD