It is quite common to have an offset angled prop shaft. Most if not all C&C 30 MK I's have angled prop shafts......other C&C models as well.

My understanding for it, rightly or wrongly, is first to allow for the removal of the prop shaft without having to drop the rudder. Seems reasonable.

Secondly, as I understand it, with a right turning prop (clockwise as mine is) it offsets the slight effect of the bow turning to starboard in the forward movement with the wheel (rudder) center lined.

I don't think it is a design flaw.  Ask the C&C guys if it is?

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.

On 2016-10-23 11:59 AM, Andrew Burton wrote:
No kidding, Rob! I haven't seen a builder do that before. I'd call it a design
flaw.

Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine

Andrew Burton
61 W Narragansett
Newport, RI
USA    02840

+401 965-5260

On Oct 23, 2016, at 10:38, robert <robertabb...@eastlink.ca> wrote:

Andrew:

My prop turns clockwise, therefore, when in reverse, the stern of the boat is
initially pulled to 'port' until there is sufficient water flow over the rudder
to gain steerage.

Now add to that, my prop shaft is not centered, it is angled to 'port' a few
degrees which accentuates the prop walk or pull of the stern to port.

This short video will highlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TMB4-EPMAI

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84