Hi Tom & Graham, & all,

Seems to me you don’t really need that clever midship cleat unless you are
rafting up and not tying off on a shroud base.  We just drop a bowline over the
winch, make a couple loops around the first dock cleat and the boat parallel
parks beautifully.  if you have any kind of headwind or current leave the boat
in gear or balance with power.  Check it out at the dock before you leave next
time.  You will likely find the winch will hold your boat to the dock better
than a midship line, plus it will allow you to stop the boat, before the bow
hits the dock - if you get it secured to the first cleat. Hand holding the
line, falling over kayaks on the dock, etc don’t work.

One-line docking is so easy, you can walk around, fix a bow line, forward
spring, stern line, whatever and then kill the engine.  I’m a broker, scared
and respectful of others pricey boats, and often have to move boats that I
really don’t know.  Docking with one line is such a good trick, I’m surprised
they don’t teach it, I always do.

Now spinning the unknown boat, backing into the slings, and then discovering
they want you to remove the backstay and toping lift, to be able to haul the
boat.  Well that’s another story. . .

Cheers, Lee