Ok.  So you could also try using the charger on an independent battery.
Carry one down to the boat (maybe a small U-1 tractor battery) or use your
car.   The idea is to eliminate variables.  If it continues to overcharge
without the ACR in the circuit then you know it's the charger.

Maybe it is set for 24v?  Equalize?

Josh