Doug,
     If the battery charger has an Equalization Phase, then the charge
voltage will be between 15-16 volts.  This is something that should be done
rarely (once every few months to once a year).  Perhaps the the charger is
defective, or possibly it gets confused if the charger is shut off before
the equalization phase is complete and returns to that phase when
restarted.  I think it is more likely that the charger is defective.

See:
http://shop.pkys.com/Battery-Equalization_ep_44.html

Gary
S/V Kaylarah