To add to Chuck's thoughts:

A buyer's agent (or even a helpful broker) will be able to provide you with
information on asking and actual selling prices for broker-sold boats for
the model you are after.  This is a huge help as there can be a large range
as we know (in 2013, it was around 30% for the models I was looking at)
As mentioned, many of the boats owned by those on this list are now out of
the broker market - too cheap - nonetheless, the broker can still make this
info available to you.

Even with a very high level of trust, every expectation you can dream of
should be stated in writing, to both the broker and the surveyor. (or the
seller if applicable) Good fences make good neighbours, and this is not an
imposition, it protects everyone and maintains friendships.  For most
items, clear, friendly, communication in an email trail is fine.

Surveyors/surveys  are highly variable, and will not be as thorough or
effective as you would like.  I have read surveys while looking at boats
that missed obvious problems, bent rudder shaft, (2 C&C 34s)  buckled
topsides at the chainplates...(several older boats with hydraulic backstay
adjusters fitted)   Specific known issues should be researched by the buyer
and specifically referenced to the surveyor and broker - again,  in
writing.  Forums and lists like this are fantastic sources of info, and the
list members know more than surveyors, generally.  (Examples would be
 banging kanazaki transmissions, worn folding props, rod/wire rigging, keel
stub/mast step issues on 33-2, 35-3, 41, cracking keels in frozen parts of
the world... - no doubt there are many many others)  It is rare indeed that
 a surveyor will be that knowledgable or thorough with regard to a
particular model.  (unless he owned one, as in Chuck's case)  If I were
remote- buying a boat that was worth any sort of money I would make a point
of inspecting it with the surveyor.

You can often get a survey from the seller.  If available, it makes nice
light reading while you wait for your own.  ;-)

Already mentioned - check the paperwork for the FOB point.   This is where
you take title.  Figure out what constitutes your acceptance of the boat's
condition, document all.

Already mentioned - hold back.

Chuck makes an interesting point - wariness about a price drop.   For
someone who is handy, this might actually represent an opportunity.   yards
are expensive to operate and charge a lot of money, (for anything) and any
sailboat can be hard to sell.    Depends on the seller's frame of mind, the
issue and the labour involved.  (I rebuilt windstar's keel stub/maststep as
much as a preventative measure as anything, and would not hesitate to buy a
33-2, 35iii, or 41 with an issue identified, provided the price had been
adjusted by the C$20-30k a yard would ask for the same work.)

I think the "pipe dream" when buying is the overly optimistic assessment of
 things like canvas, sails, upholstery/foam, prop, running rigging, galley
stove, "secondary" systems and  wear-out items that are normally not
carefully inspected and can quickly add up to tens of thousands.   (good
bones are not the whole story)  A surveyor can't really help much with that.

Coffee's done...

Dave - 33-2 windstar

On Nov 23, 2016, at 12:59, Chuck Gilchrest via CnC-List <