Thanks Dave. My boat has a non-hydraulic backstay adjuster, and has a "dimple"
in the topsides in the area of the port chainplate. I did have it
professionally surveyed, and the surveyor didn't mention it or didn't notice
it. I also inspected the boat carefully myself after buying it, following the
procedures in Don Casey's "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" (including standing
astern and ahead looking at the verticality of the keel and rudder through a
grid drawn on a clear sheet of plastic).

Anyway the "dimple" is an oval-shaped flat spot in the curvature of the hull,
about 9" high by 6" wide, on the port side only, in the vicinity of the
chainplate, centered some 12" above the waterline. You can see it pretty well
in this picture: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-NqAxQ6JxFTQzlqNkNhR1djSmc
. It's the dark disruption in the reflections off the topsides.

I'd welcome any opinions on what this may be. I have no indication that part of
the hull, or the chainplate knee, is anything but completely solid and
immobile. Nor do I have any indication this blemish has any effect on the
sailing characteristics of the boat. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine
C&C 30-1 #7