I don’t have much of a problem with the sail catching on the lazy jacks when
raising it.  As long as my main sheet is loose and I am pointed less than 90°
to the wind the sail is reasonably centered on the boom.  I keep an eye on the
battens while going up to make sure all is well, but most of the time, it goes
up without catching.  I only pull the lazy jacks forward when racing with a
reasonably sized crew.  Dave

Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT