I mentioned Friday that I have used Lazy Jacks and been on a boat with a stack
pack main (note Stack Pack is basically Doyle’s variation of Dutchman).  The
note below captures a lot of my observations

Our last two boats came with lazy jacks.  On a J27 it was plain silly.  I cut
them off the mast prior to launching the first time.  On our 33 the boat was
already launched so we put up with them the first season.  They were very
annoying when hoisting the sail as they love to get tangled with the ends of
battens and they were in the way when putting the sail cover on.  When we tried
to use them to douse the sail they did not seem to help in any way as the sail
simply flopped all over the place.  Year two I took them off.  Then one weekend
cruising shorthanded (2 ppl) taking the main down with a dodger up was very
slow and I thought about it some more.  So year three I put the lazy jacks back
on in a manner where I could easily run to base of shrouds when not in use and
made an effort to determine how to use them better.

Doyle Stack Pack.  We went out for a Wednesday race on another Frers 33 that
had just returned from a delivery back from a race week.  They had their Doyle
Stack Pack sail on for the race.  My preconceived notion that the zipper on the
sail and the stack pack would make the sail perform less well was incorrect.
The sail actually had a nice shape and while not being a racing sail was as
good or better a performer than pretty much any other cruising sail I have
encountered.  At end of the race they simply let the halyard go and zipped up
the stack.  No sail cover, no work at all and very impressive and quick.. All
of this in a sail that did not perform badly in a casual race.

Last off season we toyed with getting a stack pack, implementing a Dutchman
system or something else.  In the end we opted to try to make out lazy jacks
work.  Ours have only two lines at the boom and have the micro blocks half way
up.  I learned that you have to tighten the lazy jacks prior to dropping main
and loosen when hoisting and sailing.  Also once main is down they have to be
loosened to do  proper flake of the sail.  Doing this helped somewhat but we
learned that the aft line was too far aft on the boom and allowed a lot of the
sail to escape.  When we moved the aft eyestrap forward it helped quite a bit.
Still however is not nearly as nice as something like a Stack Pack for the days
where we would want something like this

This past summer we spent two weeks cruising in the boat.  We learned to like
out ATN sock and asym for goofing around with spin on light days.  Is far
slower than no sock at all when crewed but makes an option for short handed.
Also since cruising we had our dodger on the boat and up.  This makes main sail
handling a lot more effort than when it is off.  Also not being fully crewed
adds to the issues.  Flaking the main with the dodger in the way of half the
boom when approaching an anchorage (especially an unfamiliar one) is the best
reason to have a system that allows the main to be put away in a few seconds
rather than a few minutes.

It was great to  be not racing and have all the amenities aboard.  It was also
an interesting exercise to shift focus from how to rig the boat for performance
to setting up for excellent cruising.  The two most enjoyed features were on
demand hot water and our bimini.  Neiteh of which is allowed on board while we
are in racing mode ….

Mike
Persistence
1987 Frers 33