When I took delivery of my boat, I found that the wiring in the mast was
zip cord (lamp wire).  I rewired the masthead and spreader lights with
marine grade wire.  If your insulation is brittle, it probably is not
marine grade wire.  Change it, and your problems might go away.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Marek Dziedzic via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> If you have a good (i.e. reliable) way of connecting the mast wires to the
> boat, when you step the mast, I would like to hear it. The worst part is
> that my connector is inside the mast (under the mast foot when stepped), so
> you have precisely 5 s in the spring to connect and verify if all lights
> are working. For the last two years I am struggling with that. Two years
> ago my anchor light was MIA, last year the steaming light. Two years ago a
> Sea Dog connector disintegrated while in the mast (from heat in the
> summer?); last year, there was no visible damage, but there was no
> connection either. I suspect that because the old wires coming down from
> the mast are stiff and the insulation is somewhat brittle, there might be
> something happening when I stuff the connector and the wires in the mast
> cavity. The problem is that there is no easy way to check this. Well, other
> than do a troubleshooting session with the mast hanging on the masting
> crane (which is not, realistically, an option – there is always a long
> line-up to the masting crane).
>
> Marek

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty