I have a 1989 era Harken.  Not sure of the model.  As best I can tell it is
original to the boat.  It had the original  -12 rod in it until the end of
2015 when I had the whole thing rebuilt and replaced the rod with -17.
IIRC the rod was only $200 of the rebuild cost.  For almost 30 years of
marine exposure the technician and I were pleased with the condition of the
furler.  I have confidence that it would have continued to perform well but
I was concerned about the head stay and having it replaced gives me great
confidence.

I have also installed Selden/Furlex and am exceedingly satisfied with the
thoughtfulness of the engineering.  I considered replacing my Harken with
Furlex but there is no way to use rod and the cost would have been almost
3x the cost of rebuilding my Harken.

I didn't do any of the work myself.  The yard was great using the spare
halyards to stabilize the mast, removing the furler, disassembling the
furler, cutting siezed end fittings off the rod, procuring replacement
fittings, shipping the rod to have it measured, remade of - 17, shipped
back, reassembled, and finally reinstalled.  It would have been a royal
pain for me for do it myself.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+