From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Josh Muckley
via CnC-List
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2017 13:36
To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Roller furling choices advice?

I have a 1989 era Harken.  Not sure of the model.  As best I can tell it is
original to the boat.  It had the original  -12 rod in it until the end of 2015
when I had the whole thing rebuilt and replaced the rod with -17.  IIRC the rod
was only $200 of the rebuild cost.  For almost 30 years of marine exposure the
technician and I were pleased with the condition of the furler.  I have
confidence that it would have continued to perform well but I was concerned
about the head stay and having it replaced gives me great confidence.

I have also installed Selden/Furlex and am exceedingly satisfied with the
thoughtfulness of the engineering.  I considered replacing my Harken with
Furlex but there is no way to use rod and the cost would have been almost 3x
the cost of rebuilding my Harken.

I didn't do any of the work myself.  The yard was great using the spare
halyards to stabilize the mast, removing the furler, disassembling the furler,
cutting siezed end fittings off the rod, procuring replacement fittings,
shipping the rod to have it measured, remade of - 17, shipped back,
reassembled, and finally reinstalled.  It would have been a royal pain for me
for do it myself.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD

On Jan 13, 2017 11:19 PM, "Michael Jones via CnC-List"
Ls and Gs

I'm sure there is loads of experience on roller furlers out there...can you
share some of it? I have a 1981 C&C 34 with a track on the forestay.

I am considering replacing this with a roller furler  I'd like to be able to
install myself, and I'd like to keep the existing forestay as it's rod and I'd
rather not have to disturb it by shortening it as some of the systems require.
I'd also like not to have to change it to wire (at least one furler
manufacturer claims their system is not compatible with rod rigging).

Profurl seems a possibility, Harken would need to shorten the stay.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Best regards

Mike Jones
1981 C&C 34 Seanachai