Hold on the that wheel!  You may find that you like it better than the
small one.  My boat came with 2 wheels from the PO as well.  I love the
bigger wheel since it makes steering with my feet and steering from the
rails very easy.  I also like to straddle the hump and stand on the aft
benches to get a clearer view of the road.  I wouldn't be able to reach the
wheel comfortably if it was smaller.  I can also stand in front of the
pedestal and reach back over the pedestal to comfortably reach the wheel
allowing me to trim the main or head sails.   Particularly when
singlehanding the AP is low on the port side and accessible from in front
or behind the wheel but taking or giving control from in front is much
easier when you can reach the wheel unencumbered.  It is a challenge to get
around the wheel.  While underway we just step up on the port/stbd
hatches.  When not underway we remove the wheel and stowing it on a mount
designed by edson specifically for storing the wheel on a pushpit rail.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C2331321%7C2331322%7C2331325&id=79873

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+