I'll second Josh,

We have a very large diameter wheel on our 37/40 and it is perfect for
steering from the rail.  I'd try it for a while under sail before I got rid
of it if I were you.

https://goo.gl/photos/6v14RBHkHGMWCrV19

At times we also stand on the aft seats and straddle the hump and the large
wheel makes this easy: https://goo.gl/photos/Mos5S7mgELRdbthb9

We take ours off at anchor and store it against the lifelines:
https://goo.gl/photos/BiYVk8ab5FX6HtYT9

Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
S/V Salazar - Can 54955
C&C 37/40 XL - Hull # 67