I lock the wheel shaft before I remove the wheel and then gravity keeps the
key in place.  If the key does end up falling it only falls to the cockpit
floor.  I've considered rubber bands and pvc pipe sleeves.  I've even
considered a shim in the keyway to make the key fit tighter so that
friction prevents it from falling.  It's just not a problem which is bad
enough to command enough of my attention to make it better.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD