John,
The bottom line is that the Hidea brand of outboard motors, regardless of their
place of origin, has not fared well in public opinion for reliability or
serviceability.  Common problems appear to be related to corrosion of
components, especially in salt water environments along with problems with the
pull starter mechanism.  It is not uncommon for Chinese manufacturers to
reverse engineer established products by using existing parts and designs to
create tooling for similar looking products.  Using less expensive alloys, a
"knock off" or splashed product is made at a significantly lower price with a
similar appearance to the original.   Chinese copyright laws offer little
protection to the manufacturer of the genuine item.  So it may visibly look
like a Yamaha engine, but chances are that corners were cut in the production
cycle.  Given the lack of a widespread dealer network, I would be suspect of
being able to find replacement bits and pieces along with a knowledgeable
service support staff.
One thing that the more well known brands tend to offer is a well coordinated
training process for dealers and service techs.  And usually the dealership
must have at least one trained technician on hand to perform Pre Delivery
Inspections and warranty services.  I've worked in Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki
franchises and know this to be a fact.  If you or your fellow club members wish
to take a chance buying a less expensive outboard engine, I would temper your
expectations of longevity.  At the very least, purchase a Service and Parts
manual to keep on hand along with a few common parts that have a reputation for
breakage such as the starter pull rope.
If your motivation is to buy engines with thoughts to "the environment", you
may want to make sure that what you purchase meets the CARB (California Air
Resources Board) 3 star rating for emissions and the Federal EPA clean air
standards.  Nowhere on the Hidea website does it address either of those two
standards being met by their products.
Good luck and good sailing!
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic