I think there are too many variables to make blanket declarations.

How long before campfires and grilling out get declared as being more
environmentally hazardous than all the cars in California?  What about
exhaling CO2.... Stop breathing?

The biggest problem with 2-cycle engines is that they discharge oil in
their exhaust.  That oil has been engineered to break down in the
environment.  Modern companies are engineering 2-cycle oils to provide
better lubrication at lower concentrations.  Amsoil makes marine and
regular 2-cycle oil which they recommend at 100:1 in ALL engines.  Its
almost hard to believe.  I use it and the nice thing is that you really
don't smell the 2-cycle exhaust which is so expected.  There's no blue
cloud when I use my outboard or any of my yard tools.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD