I've been using an ATN mast climber for a number of years. It's a bit awkward, but okay once you figure it out. For a bigger project like you describe, you may want to either hire a professional or arrange for a crane with a basket that you can stand in.

If you go with an ATN mast climber, be careful with painted masts as the ATN fittings will scratch through the paint.

-----Original Message----- From: Ryan Doyle via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:01 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Ryan Doyle
Subject: Stus-List Climbing the mast solo

Hi All,

I need to replace the radar dome on my mizzenmast this weekend. It's about 22' up. I'm in solid shape and can climb without a problem. However, I have never climbed a mast before, and I have to do this work alone. I'm curious if anyone here has suggestions for doing this safely. Is it possible, or should I call in a professional?

I'll be down on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake, so I'm sure I could find someone, but I'd rather learn to do this myself and I'd rather spend $$ on mast climbing equipment than on a pro. I'm sure this won't be the last time I have to do this.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Ryan
Juniper - 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch