I use a block and tackle system, hauled up by the main halyard.  I can haul
myself up from that in a bosun’s seat.  The lower block has a jam cleat so I am
able to lock myself in and free my hands.  Doing this alone is not the best
idea, much better (safer) to have someone below on a winch, rather than me
pulling the line.  Also, having a second halyard as a safety is probably an
even safer way of doing this.  I’ve done it solo for experience, you never know
when you might have to do it alone.

Steve Roberts
C&C 36 CB
Palm Coast, FL