I always use a snubber/bridle line and then relax the chain.  With the chain
relaxed, the locker lid easily opens.  In fact, initially I would open the
locker lid and leave it open during the retrieval of the anchor.  I was
concerned about chain pile up, and so I would watch it.  I haven’t had any
troubles, so I don’t watch it anymore.  At the bow, I also have a short Dyneema
line with a deck attachment and a clip for hooking the chain when the anchor is
on the bow.

I have a photo of my snubber at:
http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/2016/08/ground-tackle.html
<http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/2016/08/ground-tackle.html>

Unfortunately, I don’t have a good photo of the snubber/bridle in action.

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall
S/V Johanna Rose