I also put one of these on board:

https://www.amazon.com/BECKSON-MARINE-524C-Beckson-Thirsy/dp/B009XCO2Z0

-----Original Message----- From: Della Barba, Joe via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2017 10:26 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Della Barba, Joe
Subject: Re: Stus-List CC 38 Bilge Pump

IMHO:
There are two kinds of bilge pumps.
1 - routine: These get the standard daily leaks. Capacity is not important, being able to be mounted low down and being reliable is. For a modern fiberglass boat, you have an issue if even the smallest pump is running all the time at the dock or underway in calm weather. None of my pumps are automatic and I have no issue with water over a 2-3 week period. 2 - emergency - Anything but the very largest pumps you can fit are not going to keep up with even one thru-hull and none of them will sit low enough to be good for routine use. The one time a plumbing malfunction* had water almost to the bunks at 0100 I can tell you my big hand pump was doing more than BOTH of my 500 GPH electrical pumps. Motivation is key here :) Also bought a float for a bilge alarm after that ;)

Joe
Coquina
C&C 35 MK I

* When installing a new engine, I managed to hit the loop I had in a pump outlet and move it from a couple inches above the static water line to an inch lower. It made a dandy siphon with everyone and all the gear aboard when it did not unloaded at the dock.