Got my sheet of plexiglass for my window replacement.

This weekend I started by removing 2 of the old surface mounted windows to use a templates. I used a small paint scraper/putty knife and a hammer to split the bond between the plexi and the boat. It wasn't painless - but worked fairly well with I think minimal damage (I seem to recall a suggestion from this list not to "pry" the window off but chisel all the way around to minimize the gel coat damage).

Now I'm wondering if there are any specific recommendations to clean up the area before putting on the new windows?

I'll need to scrape or sand off the remaining plexus and surface coat over the damaged areas. Don't think it needs to look pretty because it will all be covered with the new dark plexi - plus I'll spray black on the back of the plexi where it's going to be against the hull. I'll try a scraper and random orbital sander to get the plexus down - as long as I've got a solid surface for the VHB tape to adhere. For the damaged gel coat - skim with some thickened epoxy and then some gel coat or just paint? Or does it need any covering given it will be protected from UV by the plexiglass?

My plan is to cut the new windows about 1/2" larger all around to cover any damage or discolouration.

Any advice on how to get the remnant plexus off or best repair method is appreciated.

Mark
CS 30 - Prosecco

--

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana