I really hate to be a nay sayer about anything in Sail magazine, but the last
racing headsail I had made (a deck sweeper carbon fiber 155) was designed to be
trimmed 4-6” off the upper spreader when hard on the wind – and the sail maker
set the nominal sheet leads for 11 degrees sheeting angle.

The process shown in the article (7 degrees for a 150 and 10 degrees for an 85)
is fine for determining the forward and aft positions of the ends of the genoa
track, and hence the track length. But your sailmaker will probably have a
specific placement for the genoa car within that length of track depending on
the shape of the sail and the width of your rig – among other things.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1

Washington, NC