My boat has a split backstay with an adjuster that is pulled down with block
and tackle to pinch the split and increase tension (Is there a nautical name I
should know?).  My boat was splashed today and the yard crew complained for the
second year about the difficulty reattaching the backstay.  I don’t think
previous yards even disconnected it, but something about their sling and lift
system means they have to come in with the sling from the rear with no
backstay.  I am pretty sure the mast has a slight backward rake, so I can’t see
why the length of the backstay would be a problem, but apparently even with the
turnbuckles and adjuster loosened, they can barely get it reattached.  I can’t
come up with a reason why they would have such a problem and if it means that
something is not right with the rig.  I will check the rake again tomorrow now
that the boat is floating and level, but it has always had some amount of rake
as measured by a weight hanging from the main halyard.  Any thoughts on
something I might be missing or is it normal for that kind of backstay to have
limited adjustability?  Thanks- Dave

Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT