They said was that there were only a few threads engaged on the turnbuckle and
they were leaving it to me to tighten it further.  I thought Josh’s idea to
take tension off the backstay with the halyard makes a lot of sense.  I will
take a look at that today.  I know the backstay adjuster was mostly loose as I
had pushed it up with a pole this spring when I was playing with shroud
adjustment.
1.  How much tension should there be with the adjuster up as far as it will go
without a pole pushing it.  Should there actually be slack to put the pins back
in with the turnbuckles loose but attached without taking tension off with the
halyard as Josh suggested?
2.  I am presuming that it is safe to work on the rig with the backstay
detached (meaning the mast is still well supported by the deck, forestay and
shrouds)?
Thanks- Dave

Aries
1990 C&C 34+