The SJ 16/2 cable used to connect the bow and stern running lights in
Windstar has not stood the test of time.  This cable is intended as
portable cordage, and has rubber-insulated conductors inside a neoprene
jacket.  The conductors'  insulation is crumbling and just waiting to
create a short and tripped breaker. The prince of darkness lurks...  Will
post pics, it's toast, and it's now gone.

The PVC insulation used throughout the rest of the boat is fine, it's just
the length from the light, through the pulpit/pushpit to the bullet
connectors below deck, where the lights connect to the harness.

The neoprene cable jacket is likely in much better condition than the
conductors' insulation, therefore this failure is not evident by simply
inspecting the cable from the outside.  Check the conductors themselves.

Pics here
http://cncwindstar.blogspot.ca/2017/05/navigation-light-cable-deterioration.html

Dave