I considered the same thing - if the plexus is well adhered then why not just leave it there?

But some of the plexus was not well adhered - some came off fairly easily with just hand pressure on a chisel.  I decided I didn't want to finish the job to discover that the foundation attachment was weak in spots and in need of replacement.

That said I couldn't "pull" my plexus off -- it was rock hard and had to be chipped away

Mark

CS30 Prosecco

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana
On 2017-05-16 12:35 PM, Bruce Whitmore via CnC-List wrote:
Hello all,

I am looking to your collective wisdom on the fixed port replacement on our 1994 C&C 37/40+.  I am aware of the recommendations regarding VHB and Dow 795.

Due to time constraints, I am having a highly recommended pro do the work, and he removed one of the ports today.  He asked a reasonable question, since the plexiglass peeled off without pulling any of the Plexus off the gelcoat.  When he tried to pull a bit of the Plexus off, as many of you have commented, it also pulled some of the gelcoat.  The Plexus also quite hard.

So, if the Plexus is so well adhered, and it will be very stubborn to come off the gelcoat (and do damage in the process), Should I just leave the Plexus in place and allow the VHB to attach to it?

I understand the thickness of the VHB might make the window stand out a little proud from the fiberglass by comparison, but I'm not sure that's a bad tradeoff compared to trying to remove something that might serve as a good substrate anyway.

Thoughts?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Bruce Whitmore

(847) 404-5092 (mobile)